The Lieutenancy of Ireland was represented today in Vatican City on the occasion of the Consistory creating 21 New Cardinals, including 5 members of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem.
- Cardinal Pierbattista Pizzaballa O.F.M., Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem and Grand Prior of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem;
- Cardinal Stephen Brislin, Archbishop of Cape Town and Grand Prior for South Africa;
- Cardinal Luis José Rueda Aparicio, Archbishop of Bogota and Grand Prior for Colombia;
- Cardinal America Manuel Alves Aguiar, Bishop of Setúbal, Portugal; and
- Cardinal Augustine Marchetto, Apostolic Nuncio and Archbishop of Astigi
Representing the Lieutenancy of Ireland was Chevalier Gearóid Williams, KC*HS, Chancellor for Ireland photographed with His Eminence Cardinal Pierbattista Pizzaballa, Grand Prior of the Order
Representatives from the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem were in attendance also, including Mr Sami El-Yousef, CEO, LPJ.
Details of the assignment of Titles and Deaconries to the new Cardinals is shown below.
It is appropriate that His Eminence Cardinal Pizzaballa has been assigned to Sant’Onofrio, the titular Church of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem
Deus lo vult